A C D E I L M O P R S T U W
- ASCII COBOL programming language. May refer to the ASCII COBOL compiler.
This is an implementation of the ANSI X3.23-1974 COBOL standard with Unisys
- A Revolve user who has been given the rights to configure projects as
single user or shared and to authorize any additions or deletions of data that
may be necessary. Refer to Chapter 4 "Using Revolve," section
Modes of Operation for a list of Administrative rights.
- Active project
- The active project is the project that is open and currently being used.
Only one project can be active at a time.
- Annotation path
- The annotation path specifies which directories Revolve will write and read
user applied annotations. The default directory is \revolve\redb.
- COBOL Data Manipulation Language. Can be either ASCII or NPE COBOL.
- Code Flow view
- The Code Flow view provides a flow chart of the calling hierarchy of
the paragraphs and sections in a COBOL program. It can also depict fall
throughs and dynamic branching.
- Complete Project dialog
- The Complete Project dialog allows the user to fill in gaps in a
project due to missing programs, copybooks, etc. This is a process which should
precede any system wide analysis.
- A component is a single source file. When loaded into a project, it has a
type which can include BMS, COBOL, DBD, MFS, PSB, or JCL. Copybooks, includes,
procs, and control-cards are not considered components.
- Data Impact
- The effect, or impact, that a data modification will have on the integrity
of the system. For example, the variable "A" needs to be enlarged;
however, in another area of the source code "A" interacts with
"B." The user should consider the data impact when making the
modification and determine if "B" should also be enlarged.
- Data Definition Language
- Defines DMS 1100 schemas by specifying names and attributes of areas, sets,
records, and data names stored in a DMS database. DDL consists of basic clauses
and combinations of clauses used by the DDL processor to create schemas.
- Data Management
Communications Area (DMCA)
- Program buffer through which DMR passes information to the user program.
- Data Management Routine
- On-line routine that access and updates the database.
- Data Management System
- Database system for the Unisys OS 1100 system based on CODASYL
specifications. The DMS 1100 manages mass storage device database files.
- Execution Simulator
- The Execution Simulator provides a mechanism for analyzing the control flow
in a system. Revolve traces the path through programs and screens.
- Executive Control Language
- A Unisys language used for constructing jobs that compile or run programs
on 1100 series systems.
- An extension is the DOS file type used for copybooks, includes, and
proclibs. The default extensions include ".lib", ".cop",
".cpy", and ".cbl".
- Impacts occur when source code elements are modified and that change
effects other source code elements in the system.
- Information Browsers
- A group of dialog boxes used to present information about various types of
elements and relationships in the system.
- Integrated Editor
- An editing tool that supplies the user with direct and unlimited access to
source code. Changes to source code can be implemented singularly or across an
entire application. Also appears in encapsulated form as the
Split Screen Editor
- Inventory view
- The Inventory view provides a graphical view of COBOL and JCL
components. The COBOL inventory shows the main program, copybooks, include
files, and databases. The JCL/ECL inventory represents the job/run, steps,
devices/files, executables, and dds.
- The standard Japanese character set for information exchange. Each Kanji
character is 2 bytes (16 bits) in length and takes two positions on a form
- Live fall-through
- A fall through to a label that can be performed somewhere in a program. For
example, if a program has a statement "PERFORM INIT." then any fall
through past the "INIT" label would count as one live fall through.
- The Match button is located on the edit bars in most of Revolve's
interfaces. Always preceded by an edit field and sometimes by a type drop-down
listbox. Allows for search criteria to be specified.
- Metrics tool
- The Metrics tool features methods for calculating several statistical
measures of complexity.
- New Programming Environment
- Integrated facility that compiles language programs such as COBOL and
FORTRAN. NPE has separate front-end language compilers, but uses a common code
generator, linking system, run-time system, and programmer advanced debugging
system (PADS) for all languages. Formally known as the Universal Compiling
- NPE COBOL
- Formally known as UCOB, the term now used is NPE COBOL. This is an
implementation of ANSI-85 COBOL with Unisys extensions.
- Options appear in some browsers and tools and allow the Revolve user to
adjust the way information is displayed. Normally accessible from the
Options button, located on the button bar. There are also Options
available from the Utilities menu, specific to users and administrators.
- Power key
- The F1 through F12 function keys can be assigned user-defined queries.
- A project contains the parsed representation of all the components that
have been loaded. It is contained in a file with the extension
- Project Manager window
- The Project Manager window is the control panel for the active
project. It is used to view and manipulate the components of a project.
- Project path
- The project path specifies which directories contain the component
databases. The default directory is \revolve\redb, but component databases can
exist in other directories or on other machines.
- Regular Expression
- A language for specifying patterns that match a sequence of characters.
Regular expressions consist of normal characters which match the same character
in the input, character classes which match any single character in the class,
and other characters which specify the way that parts of the expression are to
be matched against the input.
- Relational Data Management
- Unisys relational data management system. A software product that manages
relations as a component of the Universal Data System (UDS).
- A text based document created by a script
- Revolve Query Language: database language specifically designed to answer
questions about source code.
- The plan or definition for the logical structure of a Unisys database.
- Screen view
- The Screen view provides an image of a BMS or MFS screen as it would
appear on a terminal.
- Scripts are programs that automate activities in Revolve. There are many
scripts provided with the product.
- Search Directory
- A Search Directory is a directory on the local system that is identified as
containing files of a certain type. The Automatic Component Locator uses search
directories to locate and load files.
- Selected Element
- A description of the selected element appears at the bottom of the desktop.
An element is selected by right clicking on the element in any tool or browser
and choosing Select.
- Hierarchical collection of record types in a database.
- Set Type
- Describes relationship between two DMS record types.
- Source path
- The source path specifies which directories contain copybooks, includes,
and proclibs. It needs to be set so that these files can be found and included
- Source view
- Provides a display of the source code. The Source view shows a
logical view of the source files, including COBOL and JCL, with copybooks and
include files interleaved.
- Speed Menu
- The pop-up menu for the selected item. This menu appears when you
right-clicks the mouse button on the selected item.
- Split Screen Editor
- The encapsulated version of the Integrated
Editor that appears when the View Source Code button is pressed.
Allows access to source code for editing.
- Status bar
- The status bar is located at the bottom of the desktop window and at the
bottom of some Revolve interfaces. It contains several objects which provide
quick access to important information and functions. The right hand side of the
status bar provides a display of the selected element.
- A subproject is a collection of individually specified items that are
taken from a Revolve project to be analyzed and modified in specific ways.
- Identifies a subset of areas, sets, records, and data names defined in the
database schema available to user sessions.
- Subschema Data
Definition Language (SDDL)
- Language that describes the DMS database to application programs. Consists
of clauses and combinations of clauses used by the SDDL processor to create
subschemas. Translates a source subschema into a set of interpretative tables
and a series of records to be included by the DML program.
- System view
- Depicts the calling relationships between all JCL jobs, programs, screens,
and databases in the project.
- The class of an element. For example, cobol_state_move is the type for
COBOL move statements, and cobol_label_para is the type for paragraphs.
- UCS COBOL, also known as, NPE COBOL. This is an implementation of ANSI
- Universal Compiling System
- Unisys compiler that produces common object programs from different higher
level languages. Now known as the New Programming Environment (NPE).
- Individuals with access to analysis tasks and no administrative rights.
- The Revolve wildcard character is an asterisk (*). It appears by default in
most Match edit boxes. It establishes similar
strings in Match searches.
Copyright © 1997 MERANT International Limited. All rights reserved.
This document and the proprietary
marks and names used herein are protected by international law.