vutil convert function is accessed on the
Convert tab. The convert function allows you to convert an indexed data file created by C-ISAM or RM/COBOL-85 into a Vision indexed
file. This is useful when you are moving data from a C-ISAM or RM/COBOL-85 application to an ACUCOBOL-GT application.
Note: Because the Vision file replaces the original C-ISAM or RM/COBOL-85 file, be sure that you have a backup copy of the original
The convert function has a number of limitations. It does not convert files that have:
- Record or block sizes greater than 32 KB
- More than 120 keys
- Individual keys larger than 250 bytes
- Non-ASCII characters or collating sequence (RM/COBOL-85)
- Split keys (RM/COBOL-85)
- A single key with more than 16 segments (Vision Version 4) or more than six segments (Vision Version 3) (C-ISAM)
- A primary key that allows duplicates (C-ISAM)
Note: When converting files you must have plenty of available disk space to accommodate the differences in file size between the
original file type and the converted file type. You must also allow
vutil space to copy the file during the conversion process.