This book describes several methods for deploying ACUCOBOL-GT applications over the Internet. All of the methods described
involve one or more technologies from the extend family of solutions. Just as all of the technologies in the extend family
work together to provide a complete enterprise computing solution, the extend technologies work together to provide a complete
Internet solution as well. extend technologies can work alone or in combination with other technologies, depending on the
functions that you require. For example:
- If you want to provide access to remote Vision, relative, or sequential data and object files over the Internet, you can use
our AcuServer® file server technology.
- If you want to provide access to that data from a Web link, you can combine our Web thin client or Web runtime technology
with AcuServer. Our AcuConnect® application server may be used to serve the thin client requests or to launch remote application
components in a distributed environment.
- If you want to provide access to remote RDBMSs and applications, you can use our Acu4GL® COBOL-to-RDBMS interface in combination
with AcuConnect and/or the thin client. Or you can embed SQL into your COBOL application and use our AcuSQL® precompiler in
combination with these technologies.
- If you want to provide a user interface in HTML, you can write CGI programs in ACUCOBOL-GT to bridge the HTML and COBOL.
- And the list goes on . . .
For clarity, this book describes the simplest scenarios. Remember that a combination of approaches may in fact be more ideal
Note: Although you can use earlier versions of extend technologies to deploy your applications and data on the Internet, the information
included in this book is specific to the extend Version 8 and higher. For Internet-related information on previous versions
of our technologies, please refer to an earlier version of this book.