Mainframe Access (MFA) client capabilities have been added to
Studio Enterprise Edition for UNIX and
Studio Enterprise Edition for UNIX Test Server.
When migrating applications, this ensures source and data can be transferred from the mainframe and projects can be setup more efficiently within theStudio Enterprise Edition for UNIX environment to make it easier to demonstrate rapid progress to key stake holders. Once projects are set up, the synchronization with mainframe artifacts can be automated to deliver significant gains in efficiency.
When rehosting testing workload to Windows, this provides:
- Seamless but secure access to mainframe application source code and data simplifies set up and deployment of the Test Server platform.
- Significantly increases the breadth of applications that can be tested within the
Studio Enterprise Edition for UNIX Test Server environment as jobs, programs and utilities that cannot be rehosted to Windows can be remotely accessed on the mainframe.
- Allows source synchronization with mainframe source control systems. Test Server can then be configured to automatically compile changes as they are checked into source libraries. This provides early exposure to test teams performing smoke or regression testing.
- Data can continue to reside on the mainframe. COBOL programs running under Test Server can directly access mainframe files. This not only allows multiple test levels against different subsets of data, it means that sensitive or archive data can remain in position.
- Mainframe Drag & Drop to enable mainframe source and data artifacts to be dragged from mainframe and dropped into Studio EE projects
- MFA Synchronisation and Control Monitor (aka "Syncmon") – synchronises selected source components between mainframe hosted source and a Windows development or test environment
- Automatic Synchronise and Compile to automatically compile modules after source code synchronisation.
- Remote Job (JCL) Step Execution to enable execution of jobs on mainframe that cannot be rehosted to Windows
- Mainframe Call Generator – enables remote execution of mainframe programs that cannot be re-hosted to Windows.
- SourceConnect – allows direct access to source hosted on mainframe.
- DataConnect – allows COBOL file access to data files hosted on mainframe.