A data-name specifies the name of the data item being described.
- In the report section data-name-1 need not appear in a data description entry.
- In the Report Section, data-name-1 must be given in the following cases:
- When data-name-1 represents a report group to be referred to by a GENERATE or a USE statement in the procedure division.
- When reference is to be made to the sum counter in the procedure division or report section.
- When a DETAIL report group is referenced in the UPON phrase of the SUM clause.
- When data-name-1 is required to provide sum counter qualification.