- Salvage/Purge support for CIFS users: Self-service file recovery and clean-up capabilities are available over CIFS for both NetIQ® eDirectory™ and Active Directory users using the very light weight file access rights management explorer shell extension.
- CIFS/SMB enhancements: Improved performance and interoperability with Mac clients, better performance overall.
- Improved disk storage allocation policies: Enjoy contiguous disk allocation which significantly reduces fragmentation from happening. Get better read performance and significantly improved backup performance.
- Policy-based purge: Automatically purge the files in the salvage system based on policies. The policies today can be based on time or file extension or a combination of both.
- NSS and AD Integration enhancements: We now support multiple AD forests and users in a trusted AD forest(s) can access NSS resources in a given forest. Further FTP support is also now available along with remote server navigation capabilities for AD users as well.
- Auditing enhancements: Audit filters have been improved to allow for more granular audit logging.
- Micro Focus branding: Micro Focus believes in Open Enterprise Server and wants you to know it. It’s more than just a name change—it’s a commitment to the future of OES.
What’s New in Open Enterprise Server
What’s New in Open Enterprise Server 2015 SP1
Announcing Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server 2015
We are pleased to announce Open Enterprise Server 2015, which is built on the solid performance delivered by Open Enterprise Server 11. In addition to improvements to the existing feature set, this release includes these key value enhancements:
- Access to NSS for Active Directory users natively: Now, Active Directory environments and users can enjoy all the benefits of NSS, which were available only to NetIQ eDirectory users in the past. More importantly, NetIQ eDirectory, and Active Directory users can have simultaneous access to NSS.
- Large storage support: We have removed the 8 Terabyte storage limit. The new limit is 8 Exabyte.
- The addition of SMB version 2 protocol support and significant performance gains in file access.
- Improved NSS performance.
- Unified view of all NSS configuration settings across pools and volumes.
- NCP and Client Support for >16TB (NSS supported up to 8TB previously; NCP supported up to 16TB).
- CIFS can now be used independently of NetBIOS with direct TCP support on port 445.
- Enhanced security: CIFS NTLMSSP and Kerberos support for NetIQ eDirectory user authentication and Active Directory user authentication, respectively.
- CIFS NT Notify Support: notifications of changes in real time.
- CIFS now shares authorization information with NSS, eliminating in-memory trustee copy and improving performance and reliability.
Installation, Migration, and Management
- Installation and upgrade paths now support DNS names.
- Support of Common Proxy user migration as part of Transfer ID migration.
- DFS Junction Management: you can now search and view all the DFS junctions in a volume and export the list.
An automated Linux User Management (LUM) solution, which makes administering LUM painless.
Micro Focus iPrint
- Direct Print Accounting: Accounting support for Micro Focus iPrint Direct Printers.
- Browser-independent printer installation: Printer installation is no longer limited to IE or Firefox.
We are also introducing new license types:
- Inactive user license: If a user has not logged in during the last 120 days or is disabled, then those users are considered inactive and will not be included in the active user count.
- Limited use Open Enterprise Server user license: If you are using Open Enterprise Server to host only NetIQ eDirectory for the purpose of user authentication without accessing File, Print, or Domain Services for Windows and the user count grows in excess of the granted entitlement, then this license is applicable to those users.
Add even more value with the Cluster Services (NCS) promotion:
When you upgrade or deploy a new Open Enterprise Server 2015 Cluster Services setup, you will receive 4 additional cluster nodes at no extra cost if you purchase maintenance on those additional nodes at list price. This promotion is applicable only if all the nodes in your cluster are running Open Enterprise Server 2015. For more information click here.
What’s New in Open Enterprise Server 11 SP2
Open Enterprise Server 11 SP2 continues to give you the industry’s most advanced file and print services on the latest SUSE Linux Enterprise platform. You get so much more than the best Linux platform—you get it along with all the extras that only we can offer, including significant administration improvements that come with SP2:
- Better, faster installation. We’ve made 2 main changes to the installation process. First, we created an express installation that requires minimal user intervention. Second, you can now clone a server running Open Enterprise Server after installation or upgrade.
- Unified quota management. Dynamic Storage Technology now provides a unified quota management system so you can manage disk space easier. You can easily add, modify, or delete directory quotas or user-space quotas on your primary volumes, then transfer those same settings for your secondary volumes.
- Tools that improve management. Open Enterprise Server 11 SP2 gives you the tools you need, including a new Remote Manager health monitoring function; plugins to monitor and manage a Common Internet File System (CIFS) or Apple Filing Protocol (AFP); a utility to identify files and folders with obsolete owners; and the ability to delete dynamic leases in DHCP.
- File Services and NSS. We’ve introduced better integration with third-party antivirus, backup and hardware security module (HSM) solutions for file and storage. Now it’s easier to protect and back up your storage.
- Domain Services for Windows. We’ve introduced a new sites and subnets feature that lets you configure multiple sites, even though domain controllers might be geographically distributed. Also, with the new client support, Windows operations like domain login and password change will work.
- NetIQ eDirectory 8.8 SP8. NetIQ eDirectory 8.8 SP8 offers improvements in scalability and performance. It now takes advantage of a server’s processing power, resulting in faster change processing by orders of magnitude. In addition, the new version of NetIQ eDirectory includes a new Micro Focus iManager and LDAP enhancements that allow for improved integration with LDAP applications.