Micro Focus Relativity® brings the benefits of modern relational database access to COBOL applications. This technology presents COBOL data as a relational data source, enabling business users and developers to take full advantage of modern analytics and reporting tools to enhance the data processing capabilities of COBOL applications. Using ODBC or JDBC connectivity, Relativity makes COBOL data contained within traditional COBOL data files, available to virtually any analytics or reporting tool, such as Microsoft Excel. This data modernization approach delivers the flexibility of RDBMS while ensuring the continued performance of COBOL data files and the existing application architecture remain unchanged.
- Enable secure and standards-based access to your data by turning COBOL data files into relational data sources
- Meet any business intelligence and data warehousing need with off the shelf ODBC/JDBC enabled tools
- Use Microsoft Excel to create Pivot tables and charts directly from COBOL data
- Access and customize your application data in real-time and without changing your COBOL code
- Enable developers to quickly create mappings between files, records, fields and database tables, views and columns using graphical design tools
Relativity design tools enable developers to quickly craft relational table views of COBOL records. Once the tables are defined, business users can immediately connect modern reporting tools, such as Microsoft Excel, which treat the COBOL data files as another relational data source. Fast access to COBOL data in a matter of hours.
Because Relativity works with your existing COBOL data files, there’s no need to re-architect or change your application code.
The COBOL data file is a fast and efficient mechanism for storing application data but it is a proprietary format, accessible only through the COBOL language. Relativity provides secure and standards based access for virtually any ODBC or JDBC enabled tool or application to consume COBOL data and enable multiple integration points with your application.
Relativity provides SQL-based, relational data access to COBOL data files, not replicated copies. The end user sees exactly the same data at exactly the same time as the COBOL application.
Fully integrating an RDBMS solution with existing COBOL applications can be time consuming, costly and require considerable change to the application codebase. Relativity removes this challenge by providing a fast and simple approach to data modernization with minimal impact to the existing application architecture.