Scale-out involves running an
Enterprise Server for .NET installation across multiple, clustered machines. In a cluster environment:
- The setup uses a single Microsoft SQL Server installation that operates on one or more machines.
- The setup uses a load balancer to distribute processing between machines in the cluster.
The machines in the cluster can be either physical or virtual.
Scaling out involves:
- Setting up an installation to run on multiple machines.
- Setting up network load balancing to define the cluster.
- Configuring the service endpoints, that is configuring the locations of the various
Enterprise Server for .NET services operating on the cluster machines, so that they can communicate with each other.
- Configuring network load balancing to handle distribution of traffic.