Note: This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.
extend software has the following requirements:
- The amount of disk space needed to install the ACUCOBOL-GT development system is typically less than 35 MB.
- AcuBench® requires at least 20 MB for installation.
- You need an additional 40 MB to install all of the other extend products.
- Use of .NET controls with the runtime and thin client requires .NET Framework 4.0.
For all other platforms:
- The amount of disk space needed to install all extend products is typically less than 35 MB.
Supported Operating Systems
Note: AcuBench no longer supports Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 (or any Windows platforms that pre-date these). This is because
AcuBench utilizes a number of third-party libraries that have ceased to be supported on those platforms.
For this release, if you are running on the AIX 7.1 platform, the minimum requirement is version 7.1 Technology Level 4 (7100-04).
For a full list of the supported operating systems, check the Product Availability section on the
SupportLine Web site:
Linux-based platforms require
glibc version 2.5 or later.
- Each server machine must be networked to UNIX, Linux, or Windows clients with TCP/IP. TCP/IP is not sold or supplied by
- All servers must have a copy of the AcuServer license management file.
- Windows clients can run any TCP/IP software that uses a
- Unless you have an unlimited license for AcuServer, all UNIX servers must run the current version of
acushare, which is included on the AcuServer distribution media.
- All servers must have a copy of the license file activated by the product installation script. This file is named
- Client machines must have an ACUCOBOL-GT AcuServer-enabled runtime. All Windows runtimes Version 5.0 and later are AcuServer-enabled.
To verify that your UNIX runtime is AcuServer-enabled, type
runcbl -v in a Command prompt and look for this line.
- Servers being accessed by the ACUCOBOL-GT Web runtime must have a multiple-user ACUCOBOL-GT runtime license that accommodates
each concurrent user that is anticipated. (If you anticipate 100 concurrent users of the Web runtime, you need a 100-user
runtime license on the server in addition to the AcuServer license file. Alternatively, runtime users can install a local
or network floating license for the runtime themselves.
- Intel Pentium III CPU, 300 MHz; Intel Pentium IV, 2 GHz recommended
- 128 MB of RAM recommended
- 120 MB of available hard disk space recommended
- 800 x 600 VGA display or better; 1024 x 768 VGA display recommended
On Windows 7, if you receive the following error when starting AcuBench, you need to manually install the
KB2999226 (Universal CRT)
Windows update from the Microsoft Download Center:
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing
- Your COBOL application must run on a Windows system or a UNIX system supported by
Micro Focus. Unless otherwise indicated, the references to Windows in this manual denote supported Windows operating systems. Where necessary,
individual versions of those operating systems are referred to by their specific version numbers.
- AcuSQL must be installed with the ACUCOBOL-GT development system on your Windows or UNIX system.
- If using a database other than Microsoft SQL Server, you must have a working ODBC level 2 API connection to your database,
including any required networking software support.
- For SQL Server, if running the AcuSQL interface to Microsoft SQL Server, you must have the SQL Server client software from
Microsoft. Use the Query Analyzer to see if the SQL Server client software from Microsoft is on your system. For information
on opening the Query Analyzer, see the SQL Server client documentation. If the Query Analyzer opens and you are able to connect
to the database, the client libraries are most likely all present. Your SQL Server data source may be hosted on one or more
of the supported server operating systems.
- If you are running the AcuSQL interface to MySQL, you must have the following software:
- MySQL 5.0 Database Server Version 5.0.18 or later (Generally Available release). Testing was done with MySQL 5.0.18 Standard.
- MySQL Connector/ODBC Version 3.51.11 or later (Generally Available release). Testing was done with the
libmyodbc3-3.51.12.so library. This file is available from
You can check the version of your server by connecting using
. The version prints upon connection. For example:
[testing ]: mysql
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 29 to server version:
Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
Once in MySQL, you can also use the following:
mysql> select version();
| version() |
| 5.0.18-standard |
1 row in set (0.09 sec)
- If your application accesses DB2 data, IBM's DB2 Connect™ software is recommended. Access to DB2 databases has been tested
with DB2 Connect. However, any vendor's properly configured ODBC level 2 API connectivity software should work. Your DB2 data
source may be hosted on one (or more) of the supported operating systems.
Acu4GL (for ODBC) driver requirements:
Your ODBC driver must include the following functions:
- all Core ODBC driver functions
- the Level 1 function SQLColumns
- the Level 1 function SQLTables
Depending on the method of record locking you choose, your driver may also need to support some of the following function
See A_ODBC_LOCK_METHOD in the extend online help for more information.
To test the capabilities of your ODBC driver, we have included a driver test program on your Acu4GL for ODBC installation
disks. You can also consult your driver documentation to ensure that it meets these requirements.