This topic describes the process of adding and coding event paragraphs that populate a report with data and possible manipulate
the data or the report in some fashion. The event paragraphs are summarized in Using Events to Populate a Report with Data and detailed in subsequent topics.
To add event paragraphs to a report, or report element such as graphical control or section, do the following:
- Select the report element on the report form or the control on the form, or use the drop-down list at the top of the Property window to scroll to the desired element.
- Select the Event tab of the Property window.
- Click next to the paragraph type that you want to create.
- If you are creating a new paragraph, click the browse (...) button to specify a name for the paragraph and enter the Event Editor.
- If you are pointing to an existing paragraph, select the paragraph name from the drop-down list.
- If you are creating a new paragraph, the Add paragraph dialog appears, showing a default name for the paragraph (for example, report-element-Before-Print). You can either accept this name or enter a new name, then click OK to enter the Event Editor.
To cancel without creating a paragraph, click Cancel. You still enter the Event Editor, but no new paragraph is created.
- Enter the code for your new paragraph. For detailed paragraph descriptions, coding suggestions, and samples, see: Before and After Event Paragraphs, BeforeDoPrint and AfterDoPrint Event Paragraphs, and LoadGridInit and LoadGridNext Event Paragraphs.