You can upgrade COBOL applications that were developed in
Server Express to Visual COBOL
without the need to change their code.
All references to Net Express and Server Express in this guide relate to the variants of those products that provided Mainframe
Subsystem Support as part of the Studio Enterprise Edition bundle.
This guide lists the differences between
Server Express and
Visual COBOL in the following areas:
- Compiling and building
- You use the command line to build your applications as you did in the previous Micro Focus products.
- Run-time systems
- There are some differences between the run-time systems supplied with
Visual COBOL and those supplied with
Server Express. This, however, will not affect your existing applications and they will continue to run under
Visual COBOL - you only need to recompile the applications from the source code with
- Run-time system technologies
- Some technologies behave differently and require some upgrade work.
- Restrictions and unsupported features
- Some features of
Server Express are not available in
- Editing and debugging
- Much of the
Server Express functionality for editing and debugging is available in