Visual COBOL ships with Eclipse
Visual COBOL, you can then also install it in other instances of Eclipse available on the same machine. The supported version of Eclipse
4.7, and 4.8 for both 32-bit and 64-bit Eclipse.
Note: On Red Hat, you need at least version 7 to be able to plug
Visual COBOL into Eclipse
To assist you with automatically installing the
Micro Focus plug-ins in other instances of Eclipse,
Visual COBOL provides an installation utility,
installeclipseplugins available in
To use the script to install
Visual COBOL into another instance of Eclipse:
- Start a terminal.
- At the terminal, navigate to the location of the install utility.
- Run the install utility from the command prompt using the following syntax:
installeclipseplugins -eclipse <EclipsePath> -version <version> [-cobdir <CobdirPath>] [-nosplash]
- Full path to the installation directory of the instance of Eclipse you are installing into.
- Version number of the instance of Eclipse that you are installing into. The valid version numbers are
4.7, and 4.8
for both 32-bit and 64-bit Eclipse.
- Optional - the full path to the installation directory of
Visual COBOL. If this is not specified, the COBDIR environment variable is used.
- Optional - if set, the installation does not replace the existing splash screen. A non-default Eclipse splash screen is not
replaced, regardless of this setting.
Note: To install into a 32-bit version of Eclipse ensure that your PATH is set to a 32-bit version of Java. The default COBDIR location,
in UNIX environments,
/opt/microfocus/ProductName. Alternatively, the COBDIR can be specified on the command line.
Running the utility installs the
Visual COBOL plug-ins into the specified version of Eclipse.