The BASIS statement identifies that the program (the edit control file and the COBOL source file) is to be submitted to your
COBOL system under the BASIS mechanism rules.
- The BASIS statement must be the first line of the edit control file.
- The BASIS reserved word can commence anywhere between columns 1 and 66 of the statement line.
- Sequence numbers can be included anywhere in columns 1 through 6 of the statement and must be followed by a space.
- Text-name defines a unique external file-name which conforms to the rules for user-defined words. Lower case is translated
into upper case. External-file-name-literal is an alphanumeric literal enclosed in quotation marks, which conforms to the
operating system rules for file-names.
- Text-name or external-file-name-literal determines the COBOL source file to be edited by the control file.
- The editing of the COBOL source file is determined by the INSERT and DELETE statements in the edit control file.