The elements of the COBOL language listed here are marked as obsolete in the ANSI X3.23-1985 COBOL specification.
- They are to be deleted at the next revision of the standard COBOL specification.
- They will not be enhanced, modified or maintained.
- They should not be used in a conforming X/Open source program.
List of Obsolete Language Elements
- Associating the figurative constant ALL literal where literal is longer than one character with a data item that is numeric or numeric edited.
- The paragraphs AUTHOR, INSTALLATION, DATE-WRITTEN, DATE-COMPILED, and SECURITY within the Identification Division.
- The MEMORY SIZE clause of the OBJECT-COMPUTER paragraph.
- The RERUN clause of the I-O-CONTROL paragraph.
- The MULTIPLE FILE TAPE clause of the I-O-CONTROL paragraph.
- The LABEL RECORDS clause in the file description entry.
- The VALUE OF clause in the file description entry.
- The DATA RECORDS clause in the file description entry.
- The ALTER statement.
- The KEY phrase within the DISABLE statement.
- The KEY phrase within the ENABLE statement.
- The ENTER statement.
- The option to exclude
in the GO TO statement.
- The REVERSED phrase within the OPEN statement.
- The STOP
- The segmentation module.
- The debug module.