The BYTE-LENGTH function returns an integer value that is the length in bytes of
argument-1. The type of this function is integer.
FUNCTION BYTE-LENGTH (argument-1)
- Argument-1 can be a nonnumeric literal or a data item of any class or category1.
- If argument-1 or any data item subordinate to argument-1 is described with the DEPENDING phrase of the OCCURS clause, the
contents of the data item referenced by the data-name specified in the DEPENDING phrase are used at the time the BYTE-LENGTH
function is evaluated.
- The returned value is an integer that is the length of argument-1 in number of bytes.
- If any data description entry subordinate to the data description entry of argument-1 is described with the DEPENDING phrase
of the OCCURS clause, then the length of argument-1 is determined in accordance with the rules of the OCCURS clause for a
sending data item.
- The returned value includes implicit FILLER characters, if any.