The editor is customizable from
Window > Preferences > Micro Focus > COBOL > Editor. You can change the above features, as well as colors, line numbers, margins and more.
You can associate a file extension with the COBOL editor. See
Window > Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations. You can also associate a file extension with the content type of a COBOL file.
Specify whether to display the ruler and its color.
- Tab width - specify the number of spaces that the Tab symbol takes.
- Insert spaces for tabs - when this is checked, pressing Tab inserts spaces.
- Smart edit mode - smart edit mode controls the behavior of word wrapping and indentation in the different COBOL areas. When this is enabled,
the preferences on the
Window > Preferences > Micro Focus > COBOL > Editor > Typing page apply.
- Force capitals - check this to Eclipse to force capital letters for any new code that you type.
- Pressing Tab in the sequence area moves caret to area A - with this option enabled, pressing Tab while the cursor is in the sequence are moves the cursor to the start of area A.
- Pressing home/end moves caret to the beginning/end of the area - changes the way the
End keys move the cursor in the COBOL editor. Pressing
Home repeatedly first moves the cursor immediately before the first non-white space in the current area, then at the beginning
of the area, or to the first non-white space in the preceding area. Pressing
End repeatedly first moves the cursor immediately after the last non-white space in the current area, and then at the start of
the following area.
Specify the color that indicates areas of code that are read-only.
Refactoring COBOL code
Specify your preferences for the refactoring functionality:
- Rename in editor without dialog
- Enable this if you want rename without seeing the
Rename dialog box that offers a preview of your changes.
Remove trailing whitespace
- Remove trailing whitespace after column 80 only
- Remove all trailing whitespace - remove trailing whitespace in all COBOL areas
- Remove trailing whitespace on save - using the save command automatically removes trailing whitespace.
Enable these preferences if you want the editor to highlight the keywords that form the statement you have selected.
- Mark paired keywords for navigation (e.g. IF and END-IF)
- With this option enabled, clicking on the opening or closing keyword of a statement highlights both keywords.
- Mark intermediary keywords (e.g. ELSE) - clicking on the opening or closing keyword of a statement also marks any intermediary keywords.