The COLUMN NUMBER clause identifies a printable item and specifies the position of the item on a print line.
- The COLUMN NUMBER clause can be specified only at the elementary level in a report group. The COLUMN NUMBER clause, if present,
must appear in or be subordinate to an entry that contains a LINE NUMBER clause.
- Within a given print line, the printable items should be defined in ascending column number order such that each printable
item defined occupies a unique sequence of contiguous character positions.
No restrictions on the sequence of COLUMN NUMBER clauses are enforced.
- The COLUMN NUMBER clause indicates that the object of a SOURCE clause or the object of a VALUE clause or the sum counter defined
by a SUM clause is to be presented on the print line. The absence of a COLUMN NUMBER clause indicates that the entry is not
to be presented on a print line.
- Integer-1 specifies the column number of the leftmost character position of the printable item.
- The RWCS supplies space characters for all positions of a print line that are not occupied by printable items.
- The leftmost position of the print line is considered to be column number 1.