Data Express for z/OS can be used in either Standard or Client/Server mode, whereas Data Express for Distributed Systems can only be used in Standard mode:
- Standard – Supports direct access to the data resident on RDBMS from your PC.
- Client/Server – Supports access to the data resident on RDBMS through the Data Express kbde-Server: a product based on a three-tier architecture where the second tier handles data transfer optimization. Client/Server
mode lets you access data over the Internet with the lowest amount of administration necessary and the best utilization of
Note: Client/Server mode can use the same functions as Standard mode without you having to install additional software on your
PC, such as the DB2 client or the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
For Data Express configuration information and instructions, see
Appendix A. Standard Mode and
Appendix B. Client / Server Mode.
The following guidelines apply to windows and screen items within Data Express:
- The main window:
[Work with Data Stores] cannot be closed except when exiting the module.
- Multiple MDI windows may be opened simultaneously.
- Right-click an item or area to view a list of applicable commands.
- The list layout in the Grid area can be customized by selecting which columns you want to show or hide, by selecting column
width and position, or by ordering columns by increasing or decreasing order. These customizations are automatically saved
in the registry so that they are applied the next time the application is run.
Each list can be exported to a file (with several formats available) so that it can be manipulated within a spreadsheet.