Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, TELUS is Canada’s fastest-growing national telecommunications company, with $12.5 billion of annual revenue. The company has 12.5 million customer connections including 8.5 million wireless subscribers, 1.5 million residential network access lines, 1.6 million high-speed Internet subscribers, and 1.0 million TELUS TV customers. TELUS provides a wide range of communications products and services including wireless, data, Internet Protocol (IP), voice, television, entertainment, and video, and is Canada’s largest healthcare IT provider.
TELUS implemented Micro Focus IDOL, Connector Framework Server, and Key View. The solutions helped TELUS improve call servicing time, enabling agents to retrieve addresses within seconds using just 7–10 keystrokes. With data entry via a one-line search box, the system eliminates requirements for user training. Another benefit is improved employee engagement and satisfaction. The solution’s simplicity encouraged and accelerated adoption. One agent reports that address retrieval is “so easy to use, I can almost do it with my eyes closed.” Another notes that “this makes my job so much easier, one of the best changes we have seen yet.” Ideal for millennials accustomed to the intuitive simplicity of a Google search screen, the new TELUS solution garners high praise: “...our systems have been updated to reflect the way of the future.”
The results of this IT-led project align with the company’s corporate initiative to “delight” customers and improve likelihood to recommend – in this case by increasing agent efficiency and reducing servicing time, demonstrating respect for the customer’s time and ensuring maximum satisfaction. Winning the hearts and minds of customers through responsive service helps TELUS drive sales, reduce churn, and gain further competitive advantage.
Micro Focus enabled TELUS to:
- Modernize the address search experience to give its Wireline-services agents faster, simpler access to 6 million service addresses
- Replace a complex, full-screen search form with a single-line search box
- Eliminate the need for user training; allows agent to search plain-text addresses instead of cryptic, abridged-address formats
- Minimize clicks and deliver addresses within 7–10 keystrokes
- Suggest likely matches automatically
- Improve address qualification speed and hit rate
- Achieve a four-year savings of more than $2.5 million based on reductions in order fallout time, overall call reduction, and average handle time as a result of less time spent on searches
- Leverage technology across similar initiatives for customer and online use (agent feedback reflects enthusiasm for such expanded use: “Hope all of our systems are updated with this type of search, love it.”)