Command List Edit
Use the Command List Edit dialog box to create a login, a logout, or a move cursor command list to be saved in the model file. To view a detailed example of a login and logout command list, see the Pine model example.
- Command lists will be generated if operation generation is on (this is the default).
- Configure your login or logout command lists to be automatically executed on a host connect or disconnect by selecting the Execute login command list and Execute logout command list check boxes on the General tab of the Preferences Setup dialog box.
- Select a command from the Command list and press the F1 key for online help on that command.
- Use the Copy button to grab an image of the whole command list, which you can them paste into a text editor making the entire list visible.
To create a login command list
- On the Connection menu, select Session Setup to open the Session Setup dialog box.
- In the Session box, select the terminal type from the Type box.
- Type the host name or IP address in the Host name or IP address box and click Connect.
- On the Model menu, point to Record and click Start Recording. Type your username and password and advance to the next screen.
- On the Model menu, point to Record and click Stop Recording.
- On the Stop Recording dialog box, select Save as login command list and click Save to open the Command List Edit dialog box.
- View and edit the commands associated with the login command list that you've just created in the Commands box and click OK to save it.
- To view and edit the login command list, use the buttons next to the Login (after host connect) box in the Model Properties dialog box.
- To execute your login command list, disconnect and then reconnect to the host, and click the Execute login command list button on the standard toolbar. Alternatively, you can open the Model Properties dialog box and click the Execute button.
To create a logout command list
- Move to the home entity of the model.
- When you're ready to logout of the host, click Start Recording.
- Type the command used to logout of the host on the terminal screen.
- On the Stop Recording dialog box, select Save as logout command list and click Save to open the Command List Edit dialog box. By default, the Stop Recording dialog box opens if you are disconnecting from a host while recording.
- View and edit the commands associated with the logout command list that you've just created in the Commands box and click OK to save it. Delete the .MoveCursor command.
- To view or edit the logout command list, use the buttons next to the Logout (before host disconnect) box in the Model Properties dialog box. Make sure to save your model before exiting.
- To execute your logout command list, disconnect and then reconnect to the host, and click the Execute logout command list button on the standard toolbar. Alternatively, you can open the Model Properties dialog box and click the Execute button.
It is recommended that you create a logout command list on your home entity. If you record a logout command list from an entity other than the home entity, it may not return the expected results when run in either the Design Tool or on the server. This happens because the default behavior of the logout command is to navigate to the home entity and then execute the logout command list. If you are not on the home entity when recording the logout command list, the following message will appear:
"Execution of the logout command list will always start at the home entity. Since recording started at a different entity, we will add a 'Navigate to <name> entity' command to the start of your command list. At run-time, this may cause unnecessary host navigation. Do you want to continue?"
If you create a model that uses a login command list that goes past at least one entity to reach the home screen entity, it is not necessary to exit the model using the same sequence. For example, a login command list may include a sequence to reach the home entity using signon entity "A," main menu "B," and home entity "C." The appropriate logout command list should, however, should proceed directly from home entity "C" to signon entity "A."
To create a move forward or move backward command list
Click the right arrow button and select the terminal key you want to use to move the cursor forward.
Select Tab from the Key list and then configure your tab position settings using the Cursor tab on the Entity window.
Click OK to save your move forward command list and return to the Advanced Model Properties dialog box.
Follow the same directions to create a move backward command list.
The Build Command dialog box provides the following information about the selected command:
- Description - displays a read-only description
- Syntax - provides a read-only text description
- Parameters - contains the values that determine the characteristics or the behavior of the command